from the post office directory of 1855

 

Covenham St. Bartholomew is a village and parish adjoining that of Covenham St. Mary, in the wapentake of Ludborough, Lindsey, Louth Union, North Lincolnshire, and diocese of Lincoln, distant 6 miles north-byeast from Louth, 3½ from the Ludborough station, and 150 from London ; the population, in 1851, amounted to 273, and the acreage is 1,340.

The living is a rectory, of the annual value of £240, including about 64 acres of glebe land, and in the patronage of the Rev. Henry Bristow Benson and the Rev. Charles Dudding Holland, the latter of whom has two presentations out of three; the present incumbent is the Rev. John Mossop, B.A.

The church of St. Bartholomew is a small ancient structure with 3 bells ; the font is of an octagonal form, and is curiously sculptured with figures of the Virgin and Child, and Joseph, the Twelve Apostles, and the characteristic emblems; there is, also, in the chancel, an ancient monumental slab, containing an effigy in brass of John Skipwith, Knight, and bearing date 15th July, 1415. There was formerly a cell belonging to the monastery of St. Carilephus, in the diocese of Mans, no traces of which now exist.

This parish participates in the benefits of the Diocesan school established in the adjoining parish of Covenham St. Mary. Here are places of worship for Wesleyan, Primitive and Free Methodists. Thomas Young, Esq., is lord of the manor.

At the enclosure, 26 acres were allotted as church land, the rent of which is applied towards repairing the church, as far as necessary.

The Louth navigation runs through a portion of this parish.

Covenham St. Bartholomew.

Mossop Rev. John, B.A. [rector]

Traders.
Baker Henry, grocer & postmaster
Beck Nicholas, shoemaker
Bruntlet William,' Plough,' & wheel wright
Hannah Francis, farmer
Hay, John, farmer
Hurton John, farmer
Leeman George, carrier
Lewis Anthony, blacksmith
Mawer Thomas, farmer
Mottley George, miller
Mottley Thomas, farmer
Plaskett John, farmer
Plaskitt Joseph, farmer
Row Edward, wheelwright
Row Robert, joiner
Sharpley John Booth, farmer
Smith John James, parish clerk
Smith William, registrar of births & deaths for the Tetney district, & Diocesan schoolmaster
Wilkinson Daniel, shoemaker
Winter John, farmer
Wright John, farmer
Wright Joseph, tailor
Young Thomas, farmer, Covenham ho

Post Office. Henry Baker, postmaster, Covenham St. Bartholomew. Letters arrive 8 a.m. ; dispatched 5 p.m. Letters through Louth, which is also the nearest money order office

Covenham St. Mary is a village and parish in the same jurisdictions, distant 6 miles north-by-east from Louth, and 5½ from the Ludborough station ; the population, in 1851, amounted to 195, and the area of the parish is 950 acres.

The living is a rectory, In the gift of the Crown, of the annual value of £150, including about 22 acres of glebe land; the present incumbent is the Rev. John Ireland Rudd, B.A.

The church of St. Mary is a neat structure, with a tower and 3 bells. Here is a Diocesan school for this and the six adjoining parishes. Thomas Kyme, Esq., is Lord of the Manor.

At the enclosure, 17 acres were allotted as church land, the rent of which is applied to the same purpose as at the adjoining parish of Covenham St. Bartholomew. The Louth navigation runs through the parish.

 

Adams Mr. James

Rudd Rev. John Ireland, B.A. [rector]

Traders.
Baldock William, farmer
Hay David, farmer
Lowery Mark, carpenter
Mackinder James, blacksmith
Mottley John, farmer
Mottley Rannard, farmer
Robinson Mary (Mrs.), farmer
Stamp Robert, grocer & butcher
Taylor Robert, parish clerk
Watmore John, farmer
Webster Joseph, tailor