covenham 1821

An extract from "The history of the county of Lincoln"

The village of Covenham St. Bartholomew, on a branch of the river Lud is situated about six miles north-eastward from Louth.

Some lands in this parish were given by William the Conqueror to the Abbey of St. Karalephus, in Normandy, and at the instigation of William Bishop of Durham, a priory of Benedictine monks was founded here, which continued as a cell to the foreign monastery, until the thirty first year of Edward the First, when it was made over to the abbot and convent of Kirkstead, to whom it belonged till the dissolution; after which it was granted to William Skipwith. The cell at Covenham had land in Gernethorpe, Skidbroke, and Grimsby, and the patronage of the church of Covenham St. Mary, valued then at ten marks. Of this monastic edifice no vestiges remain.

The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew,'was originally built in the form of a cross with a tower in the centre, but the north end of the transept has been demolished. In the floor of the chancel is a flat grave stone, which contained the brass effigies of a man in armour. said to be Sir John Skipwith, but which, with the inscription and shields, are gone. The font is octagonal, supported by shafts of the same form, and is surrounded by four angels bearing shields of arms. On one face of the upper part is a representation of the Deity, on another is the virgin and child, and on the remaining six sides are the twelve apostles in pairs. The living is a rectory valued in the king's books at £17 12s. 8d.

According to the population returns of 1821, this parish contained 39 houses, and 219 inhabitants.

Covenham St. Mary is situated one mile eastward of the above, and on the opposite side of the rivulet. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a rectory valued at £10, and is in the patronage of the crown. It consists of a nave, chancel, and a tower at the western end, In the north wall of the chancel is an arched compartment, ornamented with tracery, which has evidently in former times contained a tomb.

In 1821 this parish contained 25 houses, and 142 inhabitants.